Home page of Tapobrata Lahiri, Ph.D.
Recent positions and responsibilities and selected achievements
1. Member of Senate of IIIT, Allahabad (2007 to 2012)
2. Member of Academic Council of IIIT, Allahabad (Senate equivalent body) (2012 to 2015)
3. Member of the Senate, IIIT-Allahabad (2015-till today)
4. Head of the Division of Applied Science (2009-2011), (2015-till today)
5. Member, Board of Studies, Dept of Comp Biol-Bioinfo, Jacob School of Biotech-Bioengg, SHIATS, Allahabad
Recognitions/Awards (Please click here)
Past Studies, Qualifications, Appointments (Please click here)
Area(s) of Specializations
Broad area: Application of Numerical Analysis Techniques (Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, Optimization, Systems Modelling and Simulation, Fractal Dimensional Analysis) to improve Prediction and Automatic Expert/Diagnostic Models for Biomedical area using data/feature extracted from mainly Digital Image and Signal Processing.
The techniques and technical skills utilized to explore those areas are:
1. Digital Image, Signal or any data processing and analysis using machine learning based pattern recognition (both statistical, e.g., Bayesian and soft computing, e.g., Artificial Neural Network) and numerical analysis techniques (optimization and simulation).
2. Global (e.g., Genetic Algorithm) and local (e.g., Steepest Descent Direction) optimization techniques applicable to non-linear problems.
3. General simulation and fractal growth simulations
4. Chaos and fractal based techniques to characterize natural objects.
5. Biomedical/Biometric data analysis/informatics (especially, Human Cognition Technique, Automatic Medical Diagnostics, Protein Structure prediction)
Future Techniques as interested to explore for implementation
1. Fuzzy Logic
2. Systems biology techniques
3. Independent Component Analysis
Major Research interest (Please click here)
1. “Nano Particles capable of forming assembly extended to micro scale in presence of serum proteints” (Application number 188/KOL/2008), Published in 2009-07-31, Innovators: Anjan Kr. Dasgupta, Jaydeep Bhattacharya, Arnab Chattopadhyay, Tapobrata Lahiri.
1. "Identification of specific class of a quasi-periodic signal from thephase-space fractal dimension of its different order-features", (Application No. 2737/DEL/2010), Innovators: Tapobrata Lahiri, Upendra Kumar, Arunava Das Roy, Hrishikesh Mishra, Subrata Sarkar.
Patent submitted to IIIT-Allahabad for filing
1. "Design of protein-marker using multifractal property of microscopic image of heat-denatured protein aggregate", Tapobrata Lahiri, Hrishikesh Mishra, Upendra Kumar, Krishna Mishra.
Selected Publications (Journals) (Please click here for the complete list)
1. Midya S. K., Jana P. K. and Lahiri T., A Theoretical Model of Atmospheric Ozone Depletion. Earth, Moon and Planets, Vol. 66, p. 279-284, 1995.
2. Lahiri T., Chakrabarti A. and Dasgupta A. K., Multilamellar vesicular clusters of phosphatidylcholine and their sensitivity to spectrin: A study by fractal analysis. Journal of Structural Biology, Vol. 123, p. 179-186, 1998.
3. Lahiri T., Chakrabarti A. and Dasgupta A. K., Onset of percolation and fractal classification scheme for multilamellar lipid vesicles. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science Vol. 211, p. 89-95, 1999.
4. Mandal M., Lahiri T., Jena U. R., Das Gupta M. and Mandal A. K. Sub-regional fuzzy features for image retrieval, Journal of Scientific & Industrial Research, Vol. 59, p. 1012-1022, 2000.
5. Singha S., Lahiri T., Dasgupta A.K., Chakrabarti P., (2006), "Structural Classification of Protein Using Surface Roughness Index",Online Journal of Bioinformatics, vol. 7 (2), pp. 74-84.
6. Lahiri T., Mishra H., Sarkar S., Misra K., "Surface characterization of proteins using multi-fractal property of heat-denatured aggregates" Bioinformation 2(9): 379-383 (2008).
7. Lahiri T., Sarkar S., Sanyal S., Morozov A.A., Obukhov Yu.V., “Clustering of signal components within most likely ECG episodes to analyze the ECG-waves”, Pattern Recognition and Image Analysis, 2009, Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 30-34. Springer and Pleiades Publishing, Ltd., 2009.
8. Lahiri T, Mishra H, Kumar U, Misra K, "Derivation of a protein-marker from heat-denatured protein-aggregate", Online Journal of Bioinformatics, Volume 10 (1): 29-39, 2009.
9. Mishra H., Singh N., Lahiri T., Misra K., “Molecular descriptors for predicting drug-likeliness of small molecules”, Bioinformation, Vol. 3(9): 384-388 (2009)
10. Lahiri T., Kumar U., Mishra H., Sarkar S. and Das Roy A., (2009), “Analysis of ECG signal by chaos principle to help automatic diagnosis of myocardial infarction”, Journal of Scientific and Industrial Research, Vol. 68, pp. 866-870.
11. “Neurocognitive Derivation of Protein Surface Property from Protein Aggregate Parameters”, Hrishikesh Mishra and Tapobrata Lahiri. Bioinformation 6(4), 2011. (ISSN: 0973-2063).
12. Tapobrata Lahiri1, Kalpana Singh, Manoj Kumar Pal & Gaurav Verma, Protein structure validation using a semi-empirical method, Bioinformation 8(20): 984-987 (2012).
13. Upendra Kumar and Tapobrata Lahiri, "Significant Enhancement of Object Recognition Efficiency Using Human Cognition based Decision Clustering” International Journal of Computer Vision and Image Processing (IJCVIP), Volume 3 (4), pages 1-15, (2013).
1. Tapobrata Lahiri and Upendra Kumar, “Exploring Intelligence in Man and Machine on the Foundation of Cognitive Science”, IGI Global, USA, edited book proposal accepted, (2013).
Publication (conference Proceedings) (Please click here)
Internal Publication – M.Tech. Final Semester thesis supervision (Specializations: Intelligent Systems and Bioinformatics):
B.Tech.-IT Project Supervision: Number of Projects: Numerous
1) “Study of Protein surface roughness index by digital image processing and other related methodologies – a drug designing approach” a P.h.D. thesis degree awarded to, Pritish Kumar Varadwaj for Ph.D at IIIT, Allahabad (2010).
2) “Faster Derivation of structural properties of pathologically significant proteins” a Ph.D. thesis awarded to Hrishikesh Mishra at IIIT, Allahabad (May, 2011).
3) “Study on Application Potential of Cognition Inspired Models in Biometrics and Biomedical Science”, a thesis-work submitted by Upendra Kumar under Gautam Buddh Technical University, Lucknow, on February 6, 2014.
4) “Signal and Three Dimensional Image Reconstruction and its application on Shape-Phenomenology study of various objects” a thesis-work submitted by Subrata Sarkar under Jadavpur University, Calcutta on June 18, 2014.
5) “Study on possibility of mining information on functional site of protein through reverse engineering approach”, a thesis being carried out by Kalpana Singh at IIIT, Allahabad.
Courses taught & laboratory assignments developed (Please click here)
Personal Academic/Rearch Achievements since joining present place of job (IIIT, Allahabad): (Please click here)
In-Campus / Ex-Campus conferences/training programs organized:
Other Information: (Please click here)
Research programs/external Projects undertaken as Principal Investigator/ Principal Coordinator: (Please click here)